Apply before March 8 for Ridgeview Health Care Scholarship
February 1, 2019
Each year, Ridgeview offers $2,000 scholarships to area college-bound high school seniors interested in pursuing a career in the health care field. Beginning in 2018, the Ridgeview Health Care Scholarship Program expanded to a system-wide program that now supports all three of our hospitals: Ridgeview Medical Center, Ridgeview Sibley Medical Center and Ridgeview Le Sueur Medical Center. The three hospitals work together to award scholarships to one student from each of the 19 local area high schools in the Ridgeview service area. Additionally, there is one scholarship awarded to a nontraditional high school student, as well as a scholarship for a son or daughter of a Ridgeview employee (please visit www.ridgeviewfoundation.org for specific details on this scholarship category).The deadline to apply is March 8, 2019.
Please note that the following students are not eligible for the “child of a Ridgeview employee” scholarship:
- Children of Ridgeview director-level employee or above
- Children of Ridgeview physicians and affiliated physicians
Recipients are selected by members of the Ridgeview Scholarship Committee according to the following criteria:
- Student must attend one of the eligible schools or be a child of a Ridgeview employee.
- Student must plan to pursue one of the predefined health care career choices (see list).
- Student must have a high school GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Student should be involved with school or community volunteer activities.
- Student must plan to enroll in a post-secondary school, public or private, after he or she graduates high school.
All interested and eligible students are encouraged to apply, provided they meet the above criteria. To be eligible for the Ridgeview Health Care Scholarship, the following components must be submitted:
- Completed Student Application (includes an essay of no more than 500 words)
- Two letters of recommendation from a person who can attest to your academic achievement, overall character and motivation
Applications will be reviewed by members of the Ridgeview Scholarship Committee, who will collectively determine scholarship recipients.
A certificate and award letter will be presented to each scholarship recipient.
- Scholarship payment will be made directly to the institution’s business office after students complete their first semester (or second quarter) of post-secondary school.
- Students must send a transcript of their first semester grades (or first and second quarter grades) and a copy of a tuition invoice to Ridgeview Foundation.
- Ridgeview Foundation may choose to revoke the scholarship if the student does not achieve a minimum of a “C” (2.0) average.
ELIGIBLE AREA HIGH SCHOOLS
Belle Plaine, Central (NYA), Chanhassen, Chaska, Delano, GFW (Gibbon, Fairfax, Winthrop), Glencoe–Silver Lake, Holy Trinity (Winsted), Holy Family (Victoria), Howard Lake-Waverly-Winsted, Lester Prairie, Le Sueur-Henderson, Mayer Lutheran, Minnetonka, Mound Westonka, nontraditional high school (student must live in Ridgeview service area), Orono, Sibley East, Southwest Christian (Chaska), Waconia and Watertown-Mayer.
ELIGIBLE HEALTH CARE CAREERS
Eligible health care careers include: athletic trainer, certified registered nurse anesthetist, dermatologist, dietitian/nutritionist, EMT, health information technician, health unit coordinator, licensed practical nurse, medical assistant, medical lab technician, medical records technologist, medical transcriptionist, occupational therapist, paramedic, pharmacist, pharmacy technician, physician, physician assistant, physical therapist, radiological technologist (including CT or MRI technologist, sonographer/ultrasound technologist, nuclear medicine technologist, mammographer), registered nurse, respiratory care practitioner, social worker, speech therapist, surgical technician or ultrasound technician. To determine eligibility of other health care professions not on this list, please call 952-442-8061.
APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE ONLINE BETWEEN FEB. 1 AND MARCH 8, 2019. APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ELECTRONICALLY NO LATER THAN 8 P.M. ON MARCH 8, 2019.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT SHANNON MATTSON AT RIDGEVIEW FOUNDATION, 952-442-8061, OR EMAIL SHANNON.MATTSON@RIDGEVIEWMEDICAL.ORG.
Funding for the Ridgeview Health Care Scholarship Program is generously provided by Ridgeview Foundation’s Friends & Family Committee, Ridgeview Sibley Foundation, Ridgeview LeSueur Axillary Group and an anonymous community donor.